Friday, August 31, 2012

How to Make Zucchini Noodles

Making veggie noodles is very simple. I've seen these vegetable noodles made with carrots as well as zucchini. Here, I use zucchini.

The ideal way to make these would be with a julienne mandolin,  which slices the squash to look almost exactly like spaghetti noodles. However, I don't have one of these yet, so I made a little bit wider noodles with a hand peeler, and it still turned out good.

Peel the whole zucchini (skin and all) with the peeler. When it got harder toward the end, then I used this basic slicing mandolin so I didn't cut up my fingers (slicing with this the whole time would result in wider, almost lasagna-like noodles).
Next, I like to blanch my zucchini slightly to make it a little softer: Just put a large pot of water to boil, and then submerge the veggies for about 2-3 minutes. I went ahead and added a little sea salt and olive oil to mine, just like normal pasta.
Drain noodles in a colander. Some say to salt the zucchini slightly, and let it sit for a few minutes, to pull out the extra water in the veggies. I've done it either way; do whatever suits you.

Enjoy your pasta with spaghetti sauce or this fresh basil pesto and some fresh-grated Parmesan cheese...yum!
 Shared as part of Gluten-Free Fridays.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, I have a big zucchini that I want to try this with, this week! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) We are building a great set of gluten free recipes so far! Its making my meal planning easy :) How about yours? See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not quite organized enough yet to do actual meal planning, but I do love finding new recipes at the link party! I hope you enjoy your zucchini noodles! :) What are you going to serve them with?

      Delete