Sunday, February 19, 2012

A new option for breakfast

As part of my experimenting with different GF grains, I read about amaranth from Shawna Ahern's Gluten Free Girl. (For more about amaranth, click here) When I read about making this grain into a popped cereal, once again I was curious--I had to try it.

Don't be put off by the look of it...this cereal is full of spice (with just enough sweetness) and very yummy--a different way to start of your day, especially if you're tired of the same ol', same ol' for breakfast.

Popped Amaranth Cereal - from Gluten Free Girl

1/4 c. organic amaranth seeds
1/2 c. warm milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1 T. organic cane sugar (I used powdered coconut palm sugar)
1/4 c. chopped dates
2 T. chopped pecans (I roasted my own pecans, here's how)

Bring a skillet to heat over high heat. When the skillet is so hot that beads of water can dance across it, toss in the amaranth seeds. As soon as the seeds begin popping--like miniature popcorn kernels--stir them continuously with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes.
(I haven't figured out how to work this step without burning some of the kernels, before other ones were cooked...Maybe it had something to do with me trying to take a picture and stir at the same time ;) I'll keep working on it...)
When most of the seeds have turned darker brown and plump, just before they burn, take the skillet off the heat and put the popped amaranth into a bowl.

Pour the warm milk over the popped amaranth. Add the cinnamon, ginger, and sugar, and stir. Top with the chopped dates and pecans.
Feeds one.
(Fair warning: the ginger in this is very potent, so if you're not a big fan, you may want to reduce the amount)

No comments:

Post a Comment